Welcome to KJV Forum! Please sign-up today! It's free and easy! Click here to join!

Soul Sleep

1Ti_4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
Itiswrittenkjv1611
Site Admin

Soul Sleep

Postby Itiswrittenkjv1611 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:11 pm

Seventh Day Adventist, Jehovah's Witnesses

PROOF TEXTS

Joh 11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
Joh 11:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
Joh 11:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
Joh 11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Dan 12:13 But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.

Mat 9:24 He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.

1Th 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

The dead are referred to as sleeping or being asleep

Job 14:12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.

Isa 26:19 Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.

Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Mat 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

David slept with his Fathers

1Ki 2:10 So David slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David.

2Ch 9:31 And Solomon slept with his fathers, and he was buried in the city of David his father: and Rehoboam his son reigned in his stead.

Job 21:25 And another dieth in the bitterness of his soul, and never eateth with pleasure.
Job 21:26 They shall lie down alike in the dust, and the worms shall cover them.

Sleep is a euphemism for death.

Those who died are referred to as "the dead"

PSALM 88:5
5 Free among the dead, as pierced ones lying in the grave, whom you remember no more, and who are cut off from your hand.

ISAIAH 26:19
19 Your dead shall live, together with my dead body they shall they arise. Awake and sing, you who dwell in dust: for your dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.

ACTS 2:29
29 Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.

JAMES 2:26
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

The soul can die

EZEKIEL 18:4
4 Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine; the soul who sins shall die.

The dead know nothing

PSALM 6:5
5 For in death there is no remembrance of you; in the grave who will give you thanks?

PSALM 146:4
4. His spirit departs, he returns to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

ECCLESIASTES 9:5
5 For the living know that they will die; but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten.
6.Also their love, their hatred, and their envy have now perished; no more will they have a share in anything under the sun.

ECCLESIASTES 9:10
10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.

The dead do not praise the LORD

PSALM 6:5
5 For in death there is no remembrance of you; in the grave who will give you thanks?

PSALM 115:17
17 The dead do not praise the LORD, nor any who go down into silence.

ISAIAH 38:18
18 For the grave cannot thank you, death cannot praise you; those who go down to the pit cannot hope for your truth.

No one has ascended to Heaven

JOHN 3:13 (Jesus)
13 And no man has ascended up to heaven, but he who came down from heaven, even the Son of man, being in heaven.

JOHN 20:17 (Jesus)
17 Jesus says to her, Do not hold me; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brothers, and say to them, I ascend to my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

ACTS 2:29, 34-35
29 Men and brothers, let me freely speak to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.
34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he says himself, The LORD said to my Lord, Sit you on my right hand,
35 Until I make your enemies your footstool.

REFUTED FROM SCRIPTURE

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Luk_23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Luk 9:28 And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray.
Luk 9:29 And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering.
Luk 9:30 And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias:
Luk 9:31 Who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.

Luk 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Act 7:54 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.
Act 7:55 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
Act 7:56 And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.
Act 7:57 Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord,
Act 7:58 And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.
Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

2Co_5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Php 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Php 1:22 But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.
Php 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better

Return to “False Doctrines”