Welcome to KJV Forum! Please sign-up today! It's free and easy! Click here to join!

Angels mating with women

1Ti_4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
Itiswrittenkjv1611
Site Admin

Angels mating with women

Postby Itiswrittenkjv1611 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:14 am

Genesis 6 Context

The context of Genesis 6 emphasizes the sin of humans, not angels as the reason for the Flood (verses 3-7,12,13). The sons of God were the ones who initiated this sin. Why weren't they mentioned in the judgment if they were angels? This leads us to conclude that only humankind was involved in the sin.
There is nothing in the context that would identify the sons of God with the angelic host. Angels have not been mentioned in the Book of Genesis to this point and certainly nothing in the story demands we understand the sons of God as angels. The focus is on judgment of humans.

If the sons of God refer to angels in Genesis 6, then the reference is cryptic. Angels have not been mentioned thus far in Genesis. Later they will be mentioned a number times but every other time they are spoken of, they are specifically called angels. Why not here if they were angels?

Sons of God

Exact phrase "sons of God":

Genesis 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Genesis 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

Job 2:1 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.

Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Other references not usually mentioned:

Hosea 1:10 Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.

Hosea 11:1 When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.

Isaiah 43:6 I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth;

Exodus 4:22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:

Exodus 4:23 And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

Genesis 6: Sons of God/Daughters of menThe term “sons of God” is never used for angelic beings in the Sacred Scripture. The angels were not created to be sons of God; they were created to be servants of God. There is no “Father-son” relationship between God and the angels. The angels stand before God as His servants and He their Owner-Master. They were created as ministering spirits.

Sons of God/Daughters of men contrast

The term “sons of God” actually denotes the special relationship of man to God — as His children. Furthermore, such terms as “Father” and“son” do not only show the existence of a relationship but also the ability to procreate — “Be fruitful, and multiply...” But the angelic beings were not created to procreate. Being spirits, they are always portray as “men”, never as “women” and they are asexual, sexless (Mark 12:25).

Several statements in Genesis about Seth’s descendants indicate that “sons of God” applies to them: they “began to call upon the name of the Lord” (4:26), “walked with God” (5:24), and “found favor in the eyes of the Lord” (6:8).

Second, Genesis 5:1–3 restates that Adam was created in God’s image and that Seth was begotten in Adam’s image. The implication is that the line of Adam through Seth constitutes the sons of God.

Third, the line of Cain is pictured in exactly the opposite light. Cain is driven out from the presence of God. Lamech, a descendent of Cain, takes two wives, contrary to the standard established in the garden. When Cain murders his brother, God confronts him with his deed; yet, when Lamech commits murder, the absence of God is painfully obvious. Cain laments that his punishment is too great to bear, but Lamech boasts that he is able to take care of himself — he doesn’t need God’s protection. The primary characterization of Cain’s line is that they were becoming increasingly separated from God.

The classification of the sons of God and daughters of men into two difference categories does not necessarily mean they are a human and non-human group. In other parts of the Old Testament similar expressions are used to mean men. For example, Judges 20:1,2 speaks of all the tribes of Israel assembling for war against the tribe of Benjamin. Therefore a distinction is made between the tribes of Israel and Benjamin. This, however does not exclude Benjamin from being classified as one of the tribes of Israel. Other Old Testament examples are Jeremiah 32:20 where the distinction is made between Israel and among men. Also Genesis 14:16 where we have the classification of Lot, women, and people.

Scripture records that Satan does make several attempts to defile the promised seed, but all other attempts are done by men, not angels. Also the Old Testament frequently warns against intermarriage of God's covenant people with those outside of His covenant (Exodus 34:16). In addition, Scripture speaks of unwarranted marriages within their own people (Genesis 24; 27:46; 28:1).

Took them wives

Genesis 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

The phrase took wives is a standing expression for marriage relationship. There is nothing in the context that would indicate these are other than real marriages.

Genesis 6 Giants

Genesis 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

These are physical giants like Goliath (1 Samuel 17:4;21:19,20).

Furthermore, Numbers 13:33 uses giants twice to describe sons of human parents not angels. The human father is Anak (Numbers 13:22,28,33).

If giants denotes offspring of human parents in Numbers 13:33, then why not in Genesis 6:4?

Therefore it is more proper to understand the statement about the giants as an explanatory parenthesis-it was during the time the giants were on earth that the sons of God married the daughters of men. Thus neither the sons of God, nor the mighty men, had anything to do with the giants. When it says, they were mighty men, the they refers back to the sons of God, not the giants.

The context of Job 1:6; 2:1

Job 1:1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

Job 1:5 And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.

Is it a far stretch to assume that Job was one of the sons of God? And maybe possible that he offered burnt offerings when presenting himself before the Lord?

Job 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

It is logical to conclude that Job was among the sons of God who were presenting themselves before the Lord (on the Earth) when Satan came among them as well.

Furthermore, the location of Job 1:6; 2:1 cannot be in Heaven because Satan has been cast out of Heaven since before the fall of man.

Presented before the Lord

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

Job 2:1 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.

The location of Job 1:6; 2:1 is NOT in Heaven!

Consider the following verses, where is their location? On Earth or in Heaven?

Leviticus 14:11 And the priest that maketh him clean shall present the man that is to be made clean, and those things, before the LORD, at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation:

Leviticus 16:7 And he shall take the two goats, and present them before the LORD at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.

Leviticus 16:10 But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the LORD, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness.

1 Samuel 10:19 And ye have this day rejected your God, who himself saved you out of all your adversities and your tribulations; and ye have said unto him, Nay, but set a king over us. Now therefore present yourselves before the LORD by your tribes, and by your thousands.

Jeremiah 36:7 It may be they will present their supplication before the LORD, and will return every one from his evil way: for great is the anger and the fury that the LORD hath pronounced against this people.

Jeremiah 42:9 And said unto them, Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel, unto whom ye sent me to present your supplication before him;

Daniel 9:20 And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God;

Satan came also

The location of Job 1:6; 2:1 is on the Earth just like Zech 3:1.

Zechariah 3:1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.

Since God is holy and absolutely without sin (Isaiah 6:3), and since He will not even look on evil (Habakkuk 1:13), how can Satan be in heaven?

The answer is that Satan cannot be in Heaven.

Satan has been cast out of Heaven since before the fall of man.

Jesus saw the fall of Satan. Luke 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

Satan was cast out of heaven and 1/3 of the angels came with him. Revelation 12:3,4 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

Satan was on the Earth before the fall of man.

Genesis 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

What about Revelation 12:9?

In 2 Corinthians 12:2–3, the apostle Paul provides a major revelation that there are three “heavens.” In this passage, he seemingly talks about himself being taken up to the “third heaven” where God the Father and Jesus dwell. The second heaven is the universe or outer space, and the first is our atmosphere or air. The Bible indicates that Satan and some of his demons are allowed to move in this space (Ephesians 2:1–2; 6:12).

In this age, Satan and his highest ranking angels can still oppose the work of God and hinder the angels of God (Daniel 10:10–14) within the boundaries of the middle or second heaven. The battle recorded in Revelation 12 removes Satan and his minions from this realm.

Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord

Job 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

Genesis 3:8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.

Genesis 4:16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

Jonah 1:3 But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.

Job 38:7

Job 38:6,7 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Many assume this passage is speaking of the creation of the Earth and since men were not in existence for the creation of the Earth then the sons of God mentioned must be angels. But the problem is that angels were not in existence before the creation of the Earth either!

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

It is possible that the angels were created on the 4th day.

Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

Psalm 148:1-5 King James Version (KJV)
Praise ye the Lord. Praise ye the Lord from the heavens: praise him in the heights. Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts. Praise ye him, sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars of light. Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens. Let them praise the name of the Lord: for he commanded, and they were created.

Angels are referred to as stars a multiple times in Scripture.

Daniel 8:10 And it waxed great, even to the host of heaven; and it cast down some of the host and of the stars to the ground, and stamped upon them.

Revelation 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

(See also: Rev 8:12; 9:1; 12:4)

Possible that Satan was created in time

Ezekiel 28:13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

Regardless of when the angels were created, it must have been after the creation of the Earth. The title of "sons of God" given to professors of religion, obtained before the times of Job; see Genesis 6:2; and who might be said to sing together, and shout for joy, when they met for social worship; see Job 1:6; and especially when any fresh discoveries were made to them of the Messiah, and salvation by him. Thus Abraham, one of these sons of God, saw Christ's day and was glad, and shouted for joy, John 8:56. For these words are not necessarily to be restrained to the laying of the foundation and cornerstone of the earth.

The Corner Stone is a reference to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Matthew 21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

1 Peter 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

In allusion to what is done at the laying of the foundation of any building of note; see Ezra 3:10; for it may be repeated from Job 38:4; "where wast thou when the morning stars", &c. and so may refer to any rejoicing, before the times of Job, at which he was not present.

The morning stars are simply stars that have human characteristics applied to them. This is a figure of speech that is used in Job 38:7 called personification.

Personification is a figure of speech which takes a human characteristic and applies it to an object, quality, or idea.

Other examples:

Luke 19:40 And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.

Isaiah 55:12 For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Psalms 96:11 Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad; let the sea roar, and the fulness thereof.

There are many figures of speech used in Job 38. Certainly not everything is to be taken literally.

Jude 1:5-7

Jude 1:5-7 I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not. And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

People often argue that Jude 1:5-7 proves that the sons of God were angels in the Old Testament. They will compare Jude 1:5-7 to Gen 6. They argue that the angels in Jude 1:6 were condemned for following after strange flesh in v7 and compare this to the sons of God taking themselves wives of the daughters of men in Gen 6. This is completely nonsensical. I have shown the context of Gen 6 has absolutely nothing to do with angels. Not to mention Gen 6 speaks of "taking wives" not "fornication", Heb 1:5 says God has never called an angel His son, Matt 22:30 says angels don't marry, ect, ect. Still they refuse to hear sound doctrine and use circular reasoning stating that Jude 1:5-7 proves that angels were the sons of God in Gen 6 and Gen 6 proves the sons of god are the angels mentioned in Jude 1:5-7. Let's examine their claim of what Jude 1:5-7 teaches. Jude 1:5-7 speaks of 3 judgments on 3 different entities for 3 different reasons. Usually they do not use v5 but v6 starts with "And" so to get the complete context we need to go back to when this particular passage starts. Jude 1:5 I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.

(Entity: People saved out of Egypt; Judgement: destroyed; Reason: believed not.)

Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

(Entity: Angels; Judgement: reserved in everlasting chains; Reason: left their own habitation.)

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

(Entity: People of Sodom and Gomorrha; Judgement: eternal fire; Reason: fornication, going after strange flesh.)

It should be painfully obvious that it was Sodom and Gomorrha alone that were judged for going after strange flesh and not the angels or the people saved from Egypt. The angels were judged for leaving their first estate in Heaven when they followed Satan at his fall. But what does it mean that the angels are "reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day"? Also mentioned in 2 Peter 2:4

2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

When the angels followed Satan and left their first estate they sealed the deal to their own damnation. They have absolutely no chance for redemption. Jesus said that Hell was created for the devil and his angels.

Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

They are not in Hell as of yet but it is a certainty for their future and they know it.

Matthew 8:28,29 And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way. And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

Revelation 12:12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Objects to angels as sons of God

The "idea" of angels breeding with humans is an impossibility.

God made "every creature" after their own kind (cats can't mate with dogs,etc.)

Angels are "Spirit beings",God created them as is....Flesh and blood cannot enter heaven.

Mankind was created male & female in order to procreate and fill the earth.

Not only does the Bible declare this,but common sense would dictate reasoning.

Why didn't Moses say angels if he meant angels?

There are many references to angels in the Pentateuch and each time it refers to angels it calls them angels-never the sons of God. (Gen 19:1,15; 28:12; 32:1) Therefore calling them angels here is anything but obvious. To the contrary, the angel view would seem more inconsistent in this context of Genesis where angels are never specifically mentioned.

God has never called an angel his son. Period.

Hebrews 1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

Angels don't marry. Plain and simple.

Matthew 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

Angels are spirits

A major problem with the angel view is that they are ministering spirits-they do not have corporeal form. The Bible says:

Hebrews 1:7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?
Definition Of Angels

Since angels are spirits (Heb. 1:14) or spiritual creatures, they do not ordinarily have physical bodies (Luke 24:39). Therefore they cannot usually be seen by us unless God gives us a special ability to see them (Num. 22:31; 2 Kings 6:17; Luke 2:13). In their ordinary activities of guarding us and protecting us (Ps. 34:7; 91:11; Heb 1:14), and joining us in worship to God (Heb. 12:22), they are invisible. However from time to time angels took on bodily form to appear to various people in Scripture (Matt 28:5; Heb. 13:2)

Though good angels at times assumed some physical form, it is not the case with evil angels. There is not one biblical example of angels taking on a physical form. God would have to grant them that ability.

Angelic cohabitation with earthly women does not seem to be a possibility. God created humans and animals after their kind (Genesis 1:27) which means there are limits to the extent that they can reproduce. If angels are sexless, deathless creatures, without physical form, and had no need to perpetuate their kind, it does not seem likely that they could reproduce, even if they wanted. There is no reference in Scripture to fallen angels ever having a body.

Demons Are Limited By God's Control and Have Limited Power

The story of Job makes it clear that Satan could only do what God gave him permission to do and nothing more (Job 1:12; 2:6).

This great power [of angels] is derived from God and the angels remain dependent upon his favorable will to exercise it. They are restricted to acting within the limits of his permission. This is true even of Satan, whose ability to afflict Job was circumscribed the will of the Lord (Job 1:12;2:6). God's angels act only to carry out God's commands. There is no instance of their acting independently. Only God does the miraculous (Ps. 72:18). As creature, angels are subject to the limitations of creaturehood

However great their power may be, it is nevertheless subject to all the limitations that belong to creatures. Angels, therefore, cannot create, they cannot change substances, they cannot alter the laws of nature, they cannot perform miracles, cannot act without means, and they cannot search the heart; for all these are, in Scripture, declared to be prerogatives peculiar to God. The power of angels is, therefore, (1) Dependent and derived. (2) It must be exercised in accordance with the laws of the material and spiritual world. (3) Their intervention is not optional, but permitted or commanded by God, and at his pleasure

Since this is the case, God would have to have allowed these angels to assume human bodies to be able to produce this race of half-angel, half-human. This is inconsistent with the character of God as revealed in Scripture-He does not participate in sin.

Summary To Angelic View

We have looked at the various arguments for the angelic view and the responses given by those who reject it. On the basis of the biblical evidence, one cannot rule out the possibility that the writer of Genesis had in mind angels when he referred to the sons of God. Yet this does not seem to be the obvious view of the passage or even the likely view. It seems we are dealing with the gross sins of humans, not angels, that caused God to send the Flood.

Return to “False Doctrines”