Welcome to KJV Forum! Please sign-up today! It's free and easy! Click here to join!

Reprobate

Itiswrittenkjv1611
Site Admin

Reprobate

Postby Itiswrittenkjv1611 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:06 pm

REPROBATE, a. [L. reprobatus, reprobo, to disallow; re and probo, to prove.]

1. Not enduring proof or trial; not of standard purity or fineness; disallowed; rejected.
Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the Lord hath rejected them. Jer 6.

2. Abandoned in sin; lost to virtue or grace.
They profess that they know God, but in works deny him, being abominable and disobedient, and to every good work reprobate. Titus 1.

3. Abandoned to error, or in apostasy. 2 Tim 3.

REP'ROBATE, n. A person abandoned to sin; one lost to virtue and religion.
I acknowledge myself a reprobate, a villain, a traitor to the king.

REP'ROBATE, v.t.

1. To disapprove with detestation or marks of extreme dislike; to disallow; to reject. It expresses more than disapprove or disallow. We disapprove of slight faults and improprieties; we reprobate what is mean or criminal.

2. In a milder sense, to disallow.

Such an answer as this, is reprobated and disallowed of in law.

3. To abandon to wickedness and eternal destruction.

4. To abandon to his sentence, without hope of pardon.

Drive him out to reprobated exile.

Jer_6:30 Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the LORD hath rejected them.

for the Lord hath rejected them (Jews); from being his people; and therefore cast them out of their own land, and caused them to go into captivity.

The context has nothing to do with eternal salvation, but has to do with the rejection of a nation.

And still yet, they could repent and be right with the Lord again.

Jer_18:8 If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.

This is a general promise that applies to any nation or any individual.

God never removes, overrides or forces a person's will.

Rom_1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

To a reprobate mind - A mind destitute of judgment. The state of their minds was such that God could not approve it. It does not mean that they were reprobate by any arbitrary decree; but that as a consequence of their headstrong passions, their determination to forget him, he left them to a state of mind which was evil, and which he could not approve.

2Ti_3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

Because they have not the right motive, and because they apply to false teachers (of their own free will). Never able, because they are never willing.

God is always willing.

2Pe_3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Tit_1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

It means here that in reference to everything that was good, their conduct was such that it could not be approved, or deserved disapprobation.

Nothing is mentioned or even hinted of that these people could no longer repent and get right with the Lord.

Unbelievers are spoken of and unbelievers can become believers through faith in and repentance unto Jesus Christ at any time as long as they are still living.

2Co_13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

“unless the sentence, after an impartial scrutiny by yourselves, or by a judge gifted with spiritual discernment, is that there are no tokens of His presence.”

Except ye be reprobates - The word rendered "reprobates" means properly not approved, rejected: that which will not stand the trial. It is properly applicable to metals, as denoting that they will not bear the tests to which they are subjected, but are found to be base or adulterated. The sense here is, that they might know that they were Christians, unless their religion was base, false, adulterated; or such as would not bear the test. There is no allusion here to the sense which is sometimes given to the word "reprobate," of being cast off or abandoned by God, or doomed by him to eternal ruin in accordance with an eternal purpose. The simple idea is, that they might know that they were Christians, unless their religion was such as would not stand the test, or was worthless.

2Co_13:6 But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Not reprobates; not deceivers, nor deceived, but what we profess to be, Christians and inspired apostles, armed by our Master with divine power.

2Co_13:7 Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.

Though we be as reprobates - I am willing to be regarded as rejected, disapproved, worthless, like base metal, provided you lead honest and holy lives. I prefer to be so esteemed, and to have you live as becomes Christians, than that you should dishonor your Christian profession, and thus afford me the opportunity of demonstrating, by inflicting punishment, that I am commissioned by the Lord Jesus to be an apostle. The sentiment is, that a minister of the gospel should desire that his people should walk worthy of their high calling, whatever may be the estimate in which he is held. He should never desire that they should do wrong - how can he do it? - in order that he may take occasion from their wrongdoing to vindicate, in any way, his own character, or to establish a reputation for skill in administering discipline or in governing a church. What a miserable condition it is - and as wicked as it is miserable - for a man to wish to take advantage of a state of disorder, or of the faults of others, in order to establish his own character, or to obtain reputation. Paul spurned and detested such a thought; yet it is to be feared it is sometimes done.

Return to “Word Study”