Welcome to KJV Forum! Please sign-up today! It's free and easy! Click here to join!

Total Inability

Itiswrittenkjv1611
Site Admin

Total Inability

Postby Itiswrittenkjv1611 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:23 am

Total Depravity/Inability

The calvinist doctrine of Total Depravity teaches that man is naturally born so depraved that he is unable and unwilling to repent and believe in God for salvation. Total Depravity is the first point of the five points of Calvinism. Total Depravity necessitates Unconditional Election because if men are unable to choose to be saved then God must have made the choice for them before the world began. Total Depravity also necessitates Irresistible Grace which means that when God draws someone to Him for salvation, the drawing must be irresistible.

What happened to free-will?

Not once in the entire Bible is the phrase "total depravity" found, nor are the words "total" or "depravity" found. On the other hand, "freewill" is found 17 times.

Scripture states many times that men must choose/receive God for salvation.

Jas 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

Deu 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Psa 119:30 I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me.

Psa 119:111 Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart.

Psa 119:173 Let thine hand help me; for I have chosen thy precepts.

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

2Ti 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

If only the "elect" are able to choose, then God must be mocking those who are unable and are the non-elect. This is not the character of God.

Who is truly unable, man or God?

Luk 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.

Calvinists teach that man is naturally unable to come to God without God implementing irresistible grace and that this is the only means by which God can complete His task. Is God unable to enable all men to believe and let them choose by their own free-will? When considering the calvinist doctrine of total depravity we must question: "who is really 'unable' man or God?"

When is a person saved, before or after faith?

Because of the doctrine of Total Depravity, Calvinists teach that a person must be regenerated before they can have the faith to believe in God. Some teach that regeneration happens at birth. The Bible states otherwise, that a person must first believe and then they are saved.

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Luk 8:12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

1Co 15:1,2 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

1Ti 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Where is the power in the Gospel?

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Calvinists teach that God preordained each individual who would be saved and who would be damned before the foundation of the earth and draws those who He chose would be saved unto Him with an irresistible grace. If this was true, what is the purpose of the Gospel? According to their teaching, there is no true power in the Gospel.

CALVINIST TOTAL DEPRAVITY PROOF-TEXTS

Gen_6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Ecc 9:3 This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead.

Jer_17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Mar 7:21-23 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Jer 13:23 Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil.

Romans 3:10-18

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: Their feet are swift to shed blood: Destruction and misery are in their ways: And the way of peace have they not known: There is no fear of God before their eyes.

Calvinist interpretation:

All men are born totally depraved, the thoughts of their hearts are only evil continually and therefore they are unable and unwilling to repent and turn to Christ.

Biblical response:

This is a figure of speech called hyperbole.

Son 1:4 Draw me, we will run after thee: the king hath brought me into his chambers: we will be glad and rejoice in thee, we will remember thy love more than wine: the upright love thee.

Jer 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Isa 55:6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:

Mat 7:7,8 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Act 17:24-31 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Romans 8:5-8

For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Biblical response:

1 Corinthians 2:6-16

Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought: But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

Only the elect who are regenerated can receive the things of the Spirit of God and therefore only they are able to believe the Gospel as opposed to the non-elect "spiritually dead" who are unable to believe.

Biblical response:

This passage is speaking of the deeper things of the wisdom of God, not the Gospel.

1Co 2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

We can also get a better understanding of what Paul is trying to explain by continuing on in the next chapter.

1Co 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

("Meat" i.e. The deeper things of the wisdom of God)

Even if it was concerning the Gospel, it does not say that the Holy Spirit only enlightens a certain "elect" group to believe.

Dead in sin

Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Ephesians 2:1-5

And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Calvinists liken being spiritually dead or "dead in sins" to being physically dead, in that physically dead men are unable to respond and likewise spiritually dead men cannot respond to the Gospel. They will often use the story of Lazarus to explain their position. Lazarus being physically dead is likened to a spiritually dead man and Christ resurrecting Lazarus is likened to God implementing irresistible grace to quicken the mortal soul.

Biblical response:

"Dead in sins" means separated from God. We can see this in Scripture because the spiritually dead are described as "lost".

Luk 15:32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

Luk 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

2Co_4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

Slave to sin

John 8:31-34

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

Calvinists will say that being a "slave to sin" means that the individual is under the complete control and power of sin and does not have the freedom to turn to and choose Christ.

Biblical response:

Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

No man is able to come to Christ

John 6:63-68

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

John 8:42-47

Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Calvinists will point to these passages of Scripture as undeniable proof that the lost are absolutely unable to choose Christ.

Biblical response:

TOTAL INABILITY REFUTED FROM SCRIPTURE

Ephesians 2:8: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God."

Romans 10:17: "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God."

Isaiah1:18: "Come now, and let us REASON together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Other Questions/Things To Consider

If man is unwilling, there must be a will.

The reason why men do not repent and turn to Christ is not because they are "unable" but because they are unwilling:

Hab 1:5 Behold ye among the heathen, and regard, and wonder marvellously: for I will work a work in your days, which ye will not believe, though it be told you.

Act 3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

Isa 7:9 And the head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is Remaliah's son. If ye will not believe, surely ye shall not be established.

Zec 14:17 And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.

Mal 2:2 If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.

Mat 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

Luk 9:5 And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them.

Luk 19:14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.

Luk 22:67 Art thou the Christ? tell us. And he said unto them, If I tell you, ye will not believe:

Joh 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

Act 22:18 And saw him saying unto me, Make haste, and get thee quickly out of Jerusalem: for they will not receive thy testimony concerning me.

2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Return to “Calvinism”